The Colorado Society of Mayflower Descendants is proud to award two $1,620 scholarships each year to two eligible Colorado high school seniors. The full amount is paid directly to the college, university or other institution where the student is enrolled with instructions that the amounts be applied to each of that year’s semesters evenly. This is a onetime scholarship, paid the summer before the student’s first semester.
RESEARCH AND WRITE YOUR MAYFLOWER SCHOLARSHIP ESSAY
By far the most important part of your application is the completion of a thoughtful, well-written essay in three parts which explore a passenger of the Mayflower and their significance to the colony.
- Go to http://mayflowerhistory.com/mayflower-passenger-list/ and select a passenger to write your essay about.
- Who is the Mayflower passenger you have selected? Was he or she a separatist? If not, how and why did they become a Mayflower passenger? What was their occupation? How was the founding of the new colony financed? How did all of the Mayflower passengers plan to pay for their passage? How did this affect their life in Plymouth? (Be as specific as you can be, based on your reading)
- You should also do a Google Search on the Mayflower passenger you have selected.
- For information about the funding of the Mayflower and the establishment of the colony: http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/history/item/4797-who -funded–the-mayflower Also, http://www.pilgrimhallmuseum.org/ap financing building colony.htm
The Mayflower Compact: Its importance to the Mayflower passenger you have selected.
Identify at least two features or aspects of the Compact and describe why each should have mattered enough to your Mayflower passenger – based on their background and their reasons for coming to America — to have been included in the document to establish and operate a government
This portion of your essay is to be based on a careful reading of the Compact and you’re relating of its content to the life situation of your Mayflower passenger; no secondary sources are to be used.
Take one feature of the Mayflower Compact and expound upon any impact it has had in your life. How would your commitment to bettering yourself be supported by the opportunities this scholarship will make available to you?
The three parts of your essay must not exceed a total length of 1500 words.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are to write this essay in your own words. It is not intended to be a research essay, but rather a personal essay, exploring facets of the Mayflower passenger you have selected. DO NOT incorporate text from any secondary sources in your essay. Essays that include text copied directly from sources suggested, or any other sources, will be disqualified.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR THE ESSAY:
Create an edited, single spaced d draft of Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 of your essay – with appropriate citations – and bibliography using New Roman 12 point font style.
ASSEMBLE MATERIALS FOR MAILING:
YOUR APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN THE FOLLOWING TO BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE:
- 2 COPIES OF THE Scholarship Application page.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, business person, peer or family friend.
- 2 copies of your resume
- 2 copies of your Official High School Transcript
- 1 copy of your SAT and/or ACT scores
- Information on your Mayflower ancestor, if applicable.
- 4 hard copies of your essay
MAIL APPLICATION PACKET TO:
Colorado Society of Mayflower Descendants
1515 Lane 32
Pueblo, CO 81006-9461
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 1, 2019